Friday, January 20, 2012

A Key West Fish Wrap

There are plenty of reasons to visit Key West and eventually I'll get around to sharing as many of them as I possibly can. Today what I like about Key West is the variety of freakishly good food (and I say freakishly in the most adoring tone) on just about every corner of the city. Seriously.


The recipe I'm about to share with you is similar to one I ate in a pub in a fit of hunger and delirium. When I returned home, this is what I mustered up to celebrate what I love best about the southernmost city; fresh food prepared with simple ingredients, a bit of citrus (a must) and a sense of joy in whatever veggies and fish are in season.


This fish wrap has only one ingredient you might have to make a special trip to buy. Miso paste is the ingredient and can be found in any Asian grocery or upscale food market which brings the flavor of this recipe to its pinnacle of perfection.


My Favorite Fish Wrap

Ingredients
  • tortillas, plain or flavored
  • avocados, sliced thin
  • grilled white fish (grouper or tilapia is delish)
  • miso paste (I get mine at the Asian grocery store)
  • grilled onions
  • cucumbers, sliced very thin
  • tomatoes, sliced very thin
  • feta cheese crumbles
  • romaine lettuce
  • several Key limes (if they're available)
  • optional: sweet potato wedges for side dishes

Directions for Wrap

  1. Saute onions in extra-virgin olive oil til golden.
  2. Grill fish (baste in olive oil, salt, pepper, Key lime juice) for 10 minutes, turning once, then slice.
  3. Spread miso paste thinly onto tortilla.
  4. Place fish, avocado, grilled onions, cukes, tomatoes and feta cheese onto tortilla.
  5. Squeeze a little Key lime juice over fish and veggies.
  6. Roll up and heat just to melt cheese, if desired.
  7. Pair this fish wrap with small bowls of cole slaw or sweet potato wedges.
So good, so fresh, so Key West!

No comments:

Post a Comment