Thursday, February 9, 2012

What to Do in Your Garden - Becoming Organic

I've always loved having something edible in my little patch of garden space. In the early years I grew banana trees but really hated that they attracted rodents to my little backyard. Not so great with three little ones and puppies running amok. So I ripped them out after one or two good harvests. It hurt a little. I think we had Bananas Foster to celebrate our final Goodbyes.


My six month old papaya tree has three very large papayas growing on it. It's stunningly beautiful. I photograph the fruit almost weekly. They are busting out, they are bloomin' big!  I'm dying to find out how they taste. I'll definitely keep some seeds, pot them and give to my neighbors.


I really love organic pesticide control but sometimes it seems like you're using lace to harness your wild boar. You can spritz lemon water on your weeds all you want but they will pretty much laugh in your face. Silently, for sure, but they seem to have the upper hand. If you have success with lemon water on your weeds, please let me know what your secret is!


To discourage pests, try this homemade garden pest spray that I heard about through a friend and then please let me know if it works for you. It could bring your weeds to their knees or it could slap you down once again.


Homemade Garden Pest Spray


Ingredients:
  • 1 full gallon water jug
  • 1 tsp crushed garlic paste
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Directions:
  1. Try wiping mixture on a few leaves to see if pests leave and leaves do not burn. If no action, add more cayenne pepper and crushed garlic in small amounts. 
  2. Place mixture in spritzer bottles when the amounts seem to work for you. Spritz on affected leaves and then please share your success or failure here!
I love chemical-free gardening. I have so much more to learn. Please share your comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment